Choose the Right Door for your House
How do you choose the right door for your house?
Consider – how many times can you make a first impression? Of course, the operative word here is first and that’s that. There’s only one shot at making your first impression. Consider the door to your home the first impression everyone sees when approaching your home.
It’s the entry point into your home and being the first thing that anyone would happen to notice, it’s important to make sure it’s the best one possible for your home.
As a homeowner, you are blessed with many options when it comes to windows, paints, flooring options, gardening techniques, and of course, doors.
With so many options to choose from, you are literally standing on the doorpost towards a better first impression to your house! Here’s a small primer on how to choose the right door for your house.
Consider the following options:
- Size : standard door sizes are generally 32 to 36 inches wide. Other, wider options can take you up to a 42 inches single door. Know the layout of your home and the entry point so you can make an informed decision about the door of your home.
- Material : there are many different types of materials for your door including wood, steel or fiberglass.
- Wood is probably the most beautiful of options for your door, but could take the most to maintain it. With outdoor conditions like snow, wind, rain and sun, wood tends to be more sensitive than your other options. Treating it and maintaining it will be a bit of chore, but will ultimately be a more exquisite option.
- Fiberglass is another popular option you can go with. It's already insulated, is very durable and affordable. It works very well against the elements and can last for years.
- Steel doors are the strongest of the three options and can be the most energy efficient of doors. They may tend to dent a bit, but nothing some good autobody repair kit can’t fix.
- Style : because this is the opening to your home, it should reflect your unique style. Work with your architect and see if you can match the stylings of your home with the trim around the door or an archway into the home.
The most obvious of factors is, of course, the cost to the right door for your house. Make sure you consider all of the above into the cost of the door energy efficiency, durability and ultimate maintenance for years to come will factor into the price of your door.
Enjoy your new door!