Expectation of Timeframes for Bathroom Home Renovation
Every home renovation project is unique. Your vision for your new room or space is a fusion of creativity and practicality and will most certainly enhance your home. To get a better feel for the inner workings of proper timeframes and budgets, it takes an expert in home renovation to help guide you through this process.
When it comes to your bathroom, here's our rough assessment on how long it should take: from demolition to completion:
Design and Planning Stage: 1 to 3 weeks
A few steps before you can start smashing down walls and re-piping your inner drywall, a few pointers come in handy to better prepare you for what's to come. Working with your local Toronto contractor on your bathroom renovation will make the job smoother for everyone:
- Start gathering ideas for your bathroom renovation: online at bathroom renovation galleries or your local hardware store ads will give you fresh new perspectives on how to design your bathroom. Things like tiling and amenities will give you ideas on how your bathroom will look.
- Set up a time to meet with your contractor to talk over the floor plan and budget. Most homeowners will get up to three quotes on any large home renovation, so do your homework when choosing your contractor!
- Selecting of the materials is the culmination of this process as you will now go to the hardware or specialty store to select your tiles, amenities and other items for your new bathroom renovation. Knowing the proper sizes and dimensions of each element will be key to this process and you should refer to your contractor for any and all sizes.
Order and Deliver of Materials: 1 to 4 weeks
The materials you've chosen for your renovation will all depend on the quality and selections you've made. Most of the off-the-shelf items like basic flooring and tiles and amenities like vanities and shelving units can be delivered within a few days or can be picked up at the local hardware store.
For more specialty items, such as custom hardwood flooring or exquisite bathroom fixtures might take a bit longer due to their custom fitting to your bathroom. Waiting on these items will pay off, as your bathroom will turn out the way YOU intended it to.
Construction of Bathroom: 2 to 4 weeks
The homeowner must have realistic expectations for the construction of the bathroom, as certain issues arise when getting behind the walls of a renovation. Often times, when doing demolition or during the construction stage, there could be different problems and nuances to get around ? so allow some flexibility to get the job done right.
Here are the steps for the construction of the bathroom:
- Demolition for a bathroom should take up to 2 days.
- Bathroom and plumbing roughing in requires 2-4 days depending on the size of the bathroom and what piping is behind the walls.
- Electrical Work for a bathroom should take under a day, even in larger bathrooms.
- Insulating the bathroom keeps the room warm and should take half a day.
- Drywall for a bathroom should take a day and mudding and sanding requires another three days.
- Installing tiles or flooring for the floor and shower lining takes 2-3 days including grout and polish.
- Cabinet fixtures put together and mounted, should take a day.
- Plumbing and bathroom amenities such as sink, faucet and toilet: allow 2 days for installation
Final Touches: 2 to 3 days
Most, if not all, of the construction is now done but you should give yourself a few days grace period for other miscellaneous issues and clean up. Certain things like washing the floors, installing the exhaust for the bathroom and hanging light fixtures will put the finishing touches of your beautiful bathroom together.
Go through all of the bathroom installations with a fine tooth and comb with your contractor. Let him/her know of any other concerns or final touches you might need or want.
Enjoy your new bathroom!